A. Resource Persons
1. The RPA maintains a small core number of 8 qualified and generally experienced permanent resource persons (military and civilians) with graduate and post graduate academic qualifications.
2. The permanent teaching staff is supplemented by academics/experts and practitioners from various institutions in and outside Rwanda some of whom are hired on the need basis.
3. The RPA maintains and keeps on updating the database of external resource persons.
4. Expert resource persons and practitioners in Rwanda are also invited to share their knowledge and experiences with the course participants.
5. The collocation of the RPA with the RDF Command and Staff College enables the Academy to benefit from the College’s resource persons.
B. Teaching Methodology
1. Training is conducted using lecture method, plenary and syndicate/workshop discussions, practical and role-play exercises, and case studies as well as simulations.
2. The RPA emphasizes Training of Trainers (ToT) in order to build its delivery capacity and to reduce overreliance on partner expertise.
1. In line with its mission, the RPA trains military, police and civilian personnel.
2. Gender consideration is always emphasized particularly when designing the selection criteria for trainees.
3. Although the RPA has trained personnel from other regions, the majority of its courses are increasingly aimed at building the capacity of EASF and consequently, ASF.
D. Course Curricula
1. The RPA course curricula meets UN and AU/ASF training standards. The Academy offers integrated and multidisciplinary training.
2. The RPA resource persons and experts from partner organizations and institutions frequently enrich the course structure and content through writing boards and use of more relevant case studies.
E. Course Materials
1. The RPA maintains course materials that are aligned to the course curricula.
2. The materials for individual courses are kept in both soft and hard copies.
3. The library and in particular the electronic library with high speed internet connection is an additional source of course materials and a platform for e-learning.
F. Training Achievements
1. Since November 2010, the RPA has conducted 22 courses and 3 workshops. A total of 703 personnel (407 Military Officers, 144 Police Officers and 152 civilian officers) have received training from the RPA.
2. The breakdown of the courses and workshops is shown in the table that follows: Read More
A. Resource Persons